- Adult: Mental Health, Disability, Palliative Care, Neurodisability, Medical/Surgical
I seek to enable emotional expression through music as a way of helping others.
I am passionate about using music to help people.
I have been working as a registered music therapist for over nine years and have carried out over 7500 hours of professional music therapy practice. I have worked with people with special needs, mental health and Alzheimer’s disease.
I also carry out music therapy research to study the use of music to help people. I’m also a professional musician, songwriter and music producer and I’ve released songs for children with special needs.
None at present.
- Castelino, A (2018). “From Singer-songwriter to Music Therapist.” In “Tales from the Music Therapy Room” Molyneux, C (ed), Jessica Kingsley Publishers, London,UK.
- Rickson,D; Castelino, A; Molyneux, C; Ridley, H; & Upjohn-Beatson, E. (2016). “What evidence? Designing a mixed methods study to investigate music therapy with children who have autism spectrum disorder (ASD), in New Zealand contexts.” The Arts in Psychotherapy, 50, 119-125.
- Rickson, D; Molyneux, C; Ridley, H; Castelino, A; & Upjohn-Beatson, E. (2015). “Music therapy with people who have Autism Spectrum Disorder – current practice in New Zealand.” New Zealand Journal of Music Therapy, (13), 8-32.
- Castelino, A. (2014) Invited Speaker: A 2 day workshop on the Use of Music by Medical Professionals, Thailand Music Therapy Association Annual Conference, Bangkok.
- Castelino, A; Fisher, M; Hoskyns, S; Zeng, I; Waite, A. (2013) “The effect of group music therapy on anxiety, depression and quality of life in older adults with psychiatric disorders,” Australian Psychiatry, 21.
- Castelino, A. (2011) Music Therapy Mental Health Research – Dilemma’s and Solutions, Performing and Inquiring: Celebrating Practice Based Research in Music Therapy and Related Professions, Wellington, New Zealand School of Music.
- Castelino, A. (2011) Invited Speaker: Bop to the Beat – Music and the Brain, Annual Scientific Meeting, Australia & NZ Society of Geriatric Medicine, Auckland, New Zealand
- Castelino, A (2011) Unlocking Potential in the Key of Music Therapy: Using Music Therapy to Meet Expanded Core Curriculum Goals, South Pacific Educators in Vision Impairment Conference 2011, Sydney, Australia
- Castelino, A (2010) While My Guitar Gently Plays – A Workshop on the Use of the Guitar in Music Therapy, Music Therapy New Zealand Conference 2010, Christchurch
- Castelino, A. (2008). “The Benefits and Clinical Applications of the Guitar in Music Therapy: A Literature Review,” New Zealand Journal of Music Therapy, 6.
- Masters in Music Therapy (1st Class Honours) (2009) New Zealand School of Music
- Licentiate Teaching Diploma in Electric Guitar (2008) London College of Music
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours) (2000) The University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Registered Music Therapist (2009-ongoing) Music Therapy New Zealand Registration Board
- Registered Guitar Tutor (2008-ongoing) Registry of Guitar Tutors, London College of Music
- Full Member (2007-ongoing) Music Therapy New Zealand
- Full Writer Member (2003-ongoing) Australasian Performing Rights Association
- Full Member (2016-ongoing) New Zealand Screen Composers Guild
- Full Member (2017-ongoing) New Zealand Kids Music Collective