New Zealand Society for Music Therapy (NZSMT) established
Sir Roy McKenzie
Raising the profile of music therapy
Professional association established
[To] develop and maintain professional standards in Music Therapy in New Zealand, provide input into Music Therapy training programmes, ensure that a high standard of supervision was maintained, and to link with other relevant associations as appropriate. Activities included professional development days, the development of a Code of Ethics and work towards Standards of Clinical Practice for Music Therapists, job descriptions and register/s, pay scales, copyright documents, professional indemnity insurance, and the development of a Music Therapy training programme. (Rickson, 2014)
NZSMT established the New Zealand Music Therapy Registration Board
Masters of Music Therapy Course
RMThs, Specialist Service Providers
First Music Therapy Centre founded
Unifying the organisation
MThNZ Regional Groups established
Increasing our reach
First ever Music Therapy Week
Looking to the future
More about Music Therapy New Zealand
If you are interested in learning more about the history of MThNZ:
- Allied Health Aotearoa New Zealand (2016) – Retrieved 1st August 2016
- Bagley, M. & Stevenson, K. (2010) Summary Report of MThNZ Strategic Plan Beyond the HPCA Act Strategy. MThNZ Archives.
- Croxson, M. (1993) Music Therapy in New Zealand. In Maranto, C.D. (Ed) Music Therapy: International Perspectives. Pipersville, PA: Jeffrey Books
- Croxson, M. (2001) New Zealand and Music Therapy: A Synopsis of a New Scene. Voices: A World Forum for Music Therapy. Vol. 1(1) – Retrieved: 10th July 2016
- Croxson, M. (2002). New Zealand and Music Therapy – a synopsis of a new scene. In Kenny, C., & Stige, B. (Eds) Contemporary voices in Music Therapy:
- Communications, culture, and community, pp 183-186. Oslo: Unipub Forlag.
- Croxson, M. (2003) Music Therapy in New Zealand. Voices: A World Forum for Music Therapy – Retrieved: 10th July 2016
- Croxson, M. (2007) Music Therapy in New Zealand. Voices: A World Forum for Music Therapy.
- Department of Internal Affairs (2013). Notice that may lead to the removal of New Zealand Society for Music Therapy Incorporated (CC30597) from the
- Charities Register. Letter received by MThNZ December 2013.
- Fletcher, H. & Molyneux, C. (2014) Council’s Response to the DIA’s Intention to Remove MThNZ from the Charities Register. MusT a newsletter from MThNZ. July/Aug 2014, pp. 5-7
- Fletcher, H. (2014) Background Information Relating to MThNZ Strategic Planning January 2014. MThNZ Archives.
- Fletcher, H. (2016) A brief history of Music Therapy governance and administration in New Zealand (1974-2016). New Zealand Journal of Music Therapy (14) pp10-24.
- Krout, R. (2003) A Kiwi Odyssey: Music Therapy University Training in New Zealand Takes Flight. Voices: A World Forum for Music Therapy. Vol. 3(1) – Retrieved: 10th July 2016
- New Zealand Society for Music Therapy (2013) Rules of the New Zealand Society for Music Therapy Incorporated Under the Incorporated Societies Act 1908. MThNZ Resources.
- Rickson, D. (2014) A Potted History of the NZSMT ETPP Forum (2004-2014). MusT a newsletter from MThNZ. Nov/Dec 2014, pp. 3-6
Please note: The accuracy of the information provided in this website has been subject to the documentation made available to us. We invite feedback as to any potential discrepancies, as we wish to use our website to uphold and honour our history.