NZ Music Therapy Registration Board
The objectives of the Registration system are to:
- Ensure that only people who are qualified to practise are able to create and maintain a physically and emotionally safe environment for a client, adhere to the MThNZ Code of Ethics, and use the term New Zealand Registered Music Therapist
- Provide a benchmark for quality assurance as occurs with other professions
- Provide employers, contracting agencies, and individuals with assurance that the qualification and professionalism of Music Therapists meet appropriate standards
- Ensure that Music Therapists maintain their personal development and professional skills
- Provide a process for grievances and complaints to be objectively evaluated and appropriate sanctions applied.
The benefits of Registration for a qualified Music Therapist include:
- The ability to demonstrate to employers and potential employers that Music Therapy is a profession bound by a rigorous Code of Ethics with the appropriate body to enforce the Code
- A practising Certificate which demonstrates to employers that you have up-to-date music therapy knowledge and the skills to practice safely
- A provisional registration with a pathway to full registration where appropriate
- Enabling a music therapist to apply for a job where the employer insists on New Zealand Registration.
The register below lists alphabetically all registered Music Therapists in New Zealand who hold a current practising certificate, who have met the Standards of Practice for Registered Music Therapists in New Zealand, and who adhere to the Code of Ethics for the Practice of Music Therapy in New Zealand.
A Music Therapist registered with the New Zealand Music Therapy Registration Board must have a current practising certificate to practise Music Therapy in New Zealand. If the name you seek is not included on the Register please contact the Registrar in the first instance to confirm their eligibility to practise.
Register of New Zealand registered Music Therapists who hold a current practising certificate, click here.
Applications for registrations and annual practising certificate renewals are to be submitted by 1 March. Please contact the Registrar if you wish to submit an application outside of this time frame. There will be a second round of applications in August. This is only for overseas applications, those who have circumstances that have required them to have leave from their practice (for example – on maternity leave) and for provisional registration for students from the Master of Music Therapy course. A different fee structure will apply.
Annual renewal of practising certificates will not be considered at this time (only at the 1 March deadline)..
Registration $150.00+GST ($172.50 incl. GST)
Once only fee unless registration lapses
Practising Certificate $150.00+GST ($172.50 incl. GST)
*Please add 10% to your application fee payment if you are paying this after 1 March to cover additional administrative costs incurred. The appropriate fee should accompany the completed application form (PDF) and be paid to MThNZ bank account. The Late Renewal Fee will be: $165+GST ($189.75 incl GST).