Jingyuan (Cici) Kong
Area of Expertise:
- Preschool Children: Physical & Intellectual Disability, Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Primary/Intermediate Children: Physical & Intellectual Disability, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Challenging Behaviour, Trauma
- Young Adults: Mental Health Disorders
- Elderly: Dementia
About the Therapist:
I was born in China where I started my musical journey when I was four, singing in a children’s choir and learning to play the Pipa (Chinese Lute). Since achieving my Master of Music Therapy from the New Zealand School of Music in 2018, I have worked as a Registered Music Therapist with children with special needs at schools, and adults with dementia and mental health disorders at rest homes and daycare centres. I am passionate about helping people to reach their potential and build connections through positive music-making. In September 2020, I joined Raukatauri Music Therapy Trust, supporting the well-being and growth of children and young people throughout Whangārei.
I particularly enjoy working with children, I feel like I myself receive a kind of therapy from experiencing their kindness, sincerity and generosity. I also greatly benefit from the experience of working with older persons. My practice is person-centred and strengths-based, I love the positivity when people and music come together.
Jingyuan (Cici) Kong NZ RMTh
- Bachelor of Music Performance(Majoring in Chinese Pipa, Minoring in Chinese Ruan and Ocarina) Xiamen University, China, 2012
- Master of Music Therapy, Victoria University of Wellington, 2018