NZ Music Therapy Registration Board
The New Zealand Music Therapy Registration Board was established in 2000. The Board maintains a Register of Music Therapists who are registered in New Zealand. It issues Practising Certificates to those who meet the criteria agreed with MThNZ and the Registration Board.
- ensure that only people who are qualified to practise are able to create and maintain a physically and emotionally safe environment for a client, adhere to the MThNZ Code of Ethics, and use the term New Zealand Registered Music Therapist;
- provide a benchmark for quality assurance as occurs with other professions;
- provide employers, contracting agencies, and individuals with assurance that the qualification and professionalism of music therapists meet appropriate standards;
- ensure that music therapists maintain their personal development and professional skills; and
- provide a process for grievances and complaints to be objectively evaluated and appropriate sanctions applied.
- the ability to demonstrate to employers and potential employers that Music Therapy is a profession bound by a rigorous Code of Ethics with the appropriate body to enforce the Code;
- a Practising Certificate which demonstrates to employers that you have up-to-date music therapy knowledge and the skills to practice safely;
- a provisional registration with a pathway to full registration where appropriate; and
- enabling a music therapist to apply for a job where the employer insists on New Zealand Registration.
The register below lists alphabetically all registered music therapists in New Zealand who hold a current practising certificate, who have met the Standards of Practice for Registered Music Therapists in New Zealand, and who adhere to the Code of Ethics for the Practice of Music Therapy in New Zealand. A music therapist registered with the New Zealand Music Therapy Registration Board must have a current practising certificate to practise music therapy in New Zealand. If the name you seek is not included on the Register please contact the Registrar in the first instance to confirm their eligibility to practise.
Applications for first registrations are to be submitted by 1 March. Please refer to the Information Sheet if you wish to submit an application outside of this time frame.
|First Registration and Practising Certificate||$200|
|Practising Certificate renewal||$110 (1 year)*|
*Applicants will qualify for a prompt payment discount of $10 for completed applications of renewal of practising certificate received on or before 1 March only. Applications received after this date will not qualify for the prompt payment discount and will be required to pay the full fee of $110. The appropriate fee should accompany the completed application form (PDF) and signed copy of the Code of Ethics (PDF).
Renewal of Practising Certificate
You will find the application forms for renewal of practicing certificates at the bottom of this page. This is for Music Therapists who are currently registered in New Zealand.
Continuing Professional Development and Supervision are an integral part of practising as a Music Therapist in New Zealand and evidence of both activities is required when you apply for renewal of your practising certificate. Please complete the Supervision Log and arrange for the Supervision Log to be signed by your supervisor. The Supervision Log is required to be submitted together with your application for renewal of your practising certificate. An information sheet to help you complete the CPD and Supervision Logs is also included.
Code of Ethics
Standards of Practice
Penny Warren, BA (Hons), MMusThe (Hons), NZRMTh, and Interim Chair of the New Zealand Music Therapy Registration Board.
Wendy Wright, New Zealand Registered Occupational Therapist (NZROT), Dip OT (Dist)
Neil Jourdan, MMus (Music Therapy), BA (Education), NZRMTh
Any queries regarding Registration should be addressed to the Registrar, Anna Reilly: