The New Zealand Music Therapy Registration Board was established in 2000. The Board maintains a Register of Music Therapists who are registered in New Zealand. It issues Practising Certificates to those who meet the criteria agreed with MThNZ and the Registration Board.
Applications for first registrations are to be submitted by 1 April. Please refer to the Information Sheet if you wish to submit an application outside of this timeframe.
The objectives of the Registration system are to:
- ensure that only people who are qualified to practise are able to create and maintain a physically and emotionally safe environment for a client, adhere to the NZSMT/MThNZ Code of Ethics, and use the term New Zealand Registered Music Therapist;
- provide a benchmark for quality assurance as occurs with other professions;
- provide employers, contracting agencies, and individuals with assurance that the qualification and professionalism of music therapists meet appropriate standards;
- ensure that music therapists maintain their personal development and professional skills; and
- provide a process for grievances and complaints to be objectively evaluated and appropriate sanctions applied.
The benefits of Registration for a qualified Music Therapist include:
- the ability to demonstrate to employers and potential employers that Music Therapy is a profession bound by a rigorous Code of Ethics with the appropriate body to enforce the Code;
- a Practising Certificate which demonstrates to employers that you have up-to-date music therapy knowledge and the skills to practice safely;
- a provisional registration with a pathway to full registration where appropriate; and
- enabling a music therapist to apply for a job where the employer insists on New Zealand Registration.
(effective 1 September 2011)
|First Registration and Practising Certificate||$200|
|Practising Certificate renewal||$60 (1 year)|
The appropriate fee should accompany the completed application form (PDF) and signed copy of the Code of Ethics (PDF).
Renewal of Practising Certificate
You will find the application form for renewal of practising certificate here. This is for Music Therapists who are currently registered in New Zealand.
Continuing Professional Development and Supervision are an integral part of practising as a Music Therapist in New Zealand and evidence of both activities is required when you apply for renewal of your practising certificate. Please use the template to help you keep track of your CPD. An information sheet to help you complete the log is also included.
Code of Ethics
Standards of Practice
Members of the Registration Board are elected for a three-year term, renewable for one further term. The current Board Members are
Heather Fletcher, MThNZ Chair. Registered Music Therapist.
Tim Burns BCA, BA. Member NZ Parole Board, Treasurer Birthright Wellington.
Claire Molyneux, MA MusTh (APU Cambridge). Registered Music Therapist.
Any queries regarding Registration should be addressed to:
Claire Molyneux (09) 816 8870 (after 8pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org