NZ Music Therapy Registration Board
The New Zealand Music Therapy Registration Board was established in 2000. The Board maintains a Register of Music Therapists who are registered in New Zealand. It issues Practising Certificates to those who meet the criteria agreed with MThNZ and the Registration Board.
- ensure that only people who are qualified to practise are able to create and maintain a physically and emotionally safe environment for a client, adhere to the MThNZ Code of Ethics, and use the term New Zealand Registered Music Therapist;
- provide a benchmark for quality assurance as occurs with other professions;
- provide employers, contracting agencies, and individuals with assurance that the qualification and professionalism of music therapists meet appropriate standards;
- ensure that music therapists maintain their personal development and professional skills; and
- provide a process for grievances and complaints to be objectively evaluated and appropriate sanctions applied.
- the ability to demonstrate to employers and potential employers that Music Therapy is a profession bound by a rigorous Code of Ethics with the appropriate body to enforce the Code;
- a Practising Certificate which demonstrates to employers that you have up-to-date music therapy knowledge and the skills to practice safely;
- a provisional registration with a pathway to full registration where appropriate; and
- enabling a music therapist to apply for a job where the employer insists on New Zealand Registration.
The register below lists alphabetically all registered music therapists in New Zealand who hold a current practising certificate, who have met the Standards of Practice for Registered Music Therapists in New Zealand, and who adhere to the Code of Ethics for the Practice of Music Therapy in New Zealand. A music therapist registered with the New Zealand Music Therapy Registration Board must have a current practising certificate to practise music therapy in New Zealand. If the name you seek is not included on the Register please contact the Registrar in the first instance to confirm their eligibility to practise.
|First Registration and Practising Certificate||$200|
|Practising Certificate renewal||$110 (1 year)*|
*Applicants will qualify for a prompt payment discount of $10 for completed applications of renewal of practising certificate received on or before 1 March only. Applications received after this date will not qualify for the prompt payment discount and will be required to pay the full fee of $110. The appropriate fee should accompany the completed application form (PDF) and signed copy of the Code of Ethics (PDF).
Renewal of Practising Certificate
You will find the application form for renewal of practising certificate here. This is for Music Therapists who are currently registered in New Zealand.
Code of Ethics
Standards of Practice
A note on the fillable PDF forms
It is highly recommended you complete these forms using the most recent version of Adobe Reader, which can be used on any sort of computer. This can be downloaded for free from here. You will be able to open, and type into, the forms using other PDF readers such as Preview for Mac, but the forms may lose some of their functionality, such as the ability to automatically total hours. It’s also recommended you download these forms (by right clicking on them and then clicking “Save link as” or “Download”, or similar, depending on your system) rather than completing them in your browser.